The Big Man and I are still undecided about whether I am going to have an elective c-section or not. By the end of each day I have one hundred percent made my mind up, and then I wake up the next day completely undecided all over again.

I think the problem is that the Ob has given us a choice. If he just told us one way or the other what we had to do, we would just do it. Giving birth for the first time is a major, major milestone though and neither of us wants to make the 'wrong' choice.

We are going to sit down tonight and write out a pro's and con's list and see if that helps us make up our mind. Otherwise we may end up flipping a coin on Wednesday afternoon at our appointment (jokes.... kind of).

In other news, we've finished painting the nursery and have stuck up the wall decal. I also bought all of the baby's linen today and bought myself a nappy bag. All we need to do now is instal the car seat and get some furniture from Ikea and we will be ready to go!

T xx


Fern said...

I was trying to stay away from this because I didn't want to influence your decision at all, but if it was me in that situation, I would probably try for a natural birth first off. You haven't specified what the pelvic problem would be, but as far as baby size goes, ultrasounds can often be wrong at this stage because there's just so much baby to look at that it's hard to get accurate measurements. Your body was made to give birth, and it can handle (almost) all that you throw at it! That said, I think if you do chose to go with a vaginal birth you should also prepare yourself mentally for having to have a c-section if the need does arise.

The healing and recovery time from the c-section would be enough to put me off choosing it. It also limits your birthing options with any future babies, VBACs are a PITA to get approved as so many OBs still don't feel comfortable with them :)

I REALLY don't want to come off as the crazy birthing chick, and please tell me if I'm being completely out of line, but the way I see it, if you try birthing vaginally and it doesn't work for you, then the emergency c-section option will still be there, if you go straight for a scheduled c-section then you'll never know if you could have done it. I say it's worth a try :)

Tamsyn said...

Thanks Fern, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I have made up and changed my mind a million times again today.

We are meeting the with Ob again tomorrow and this time I have a list of questions for him. Hopefully we will have made our final decision by the time we leave his office.

Fern said...

Excellent, glad I didn't offend you, the last thing I want to do is come off as a birth nazi :)

Whatever decision you make you will end up with a beautiful baby boy at the end of it, the destination is very much the prize in this journey, who cares how you get there!